Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Striped Stummel

Hey All!

Another vehicle from the Salute 2017 line up, Battlefronts plastic 251/1 built up as a 251/9 'Stummel'.

Along with the crew, the gun and shield and interior were modified/scratchbuilt. As the Salute scenario 'Lost Panzers' is placed in '43, the model should be the earlier model with the Kw.K37 sunk into the front hull mount but as I plan on only building one Stummel, I chose the later model as it has a cooler look!
Working with the plastic models is so much easier and the prep time is minimal compared to the resin kits. That said, I will probably continue to build resin as I have sooo many in my collection already.
I painted up the crew as mix of old and late-war field grey. The new tunic was a much more red tinged green cloth. 
I built a cradle mount for the MG42 and attached it to the gun mount.  One little oversight I noticed on the plastic MG42 from the 251/1 kit - BF mirrored both sides of the gun barrel, using the same large hole pattern on both sides instead of the long slot for the right-hand side. Minor thing but I didn't highlight that side so that it wasn't so obvious.
The gunner had a millimeter of his head taken off as it is modeled with the M43 Einheitsfeldmütze sitting way too high. It makes the figure look deformed. Simply use a razor saw to take off the cap and file a bit off the top. Re-attach with crazy glue.
Cheers!

Troy

1 comment:

Phil said...

A splendid model!