Friday, July 1, 2011

Poking Along...Back on track.


Hey All!

Spent waaaay too much time on these fellows but having loads of fun painting faces - more than the rest of the figures I might add. The fellow with the pistol (I'm gonna call him Franz) represents my 'new' face painting technique. I touched-up the face of the officer with the MP-40 (Gunter) but he was painted up over a year ago (and looked pretty bad IMO). I really didn't want to re-do him only make him fit in with the same skin tone.

For Franz's face, I am using a combination of three colors for skin, one for lips, one for cheeks and two shadow colors combined with the skin colors to get various shades. There are many layers and filters and fiddling to get these results so I don't expect to get anything near one-tenth of Tom Wise's numbers but hope to finish my EW German grenadiers and finish up my Soviets this year.

For highlighting Fieldgrey of Franz, I have added Vallejo Sand Yellow 916 (instead of white) and the result is a richer grey/green which I think looks bang on for a little variety. I have seen some color plates that have soldats with various shades of Fieldgrey even in the same unit.

Cheers!

Troy

10 comments:

TiYo said...

Really great, think this skin tone need a step by step guide...

Braxen said...

nice challenge. Do you intend to paint all your platoon like that?

Chris C. said...

The faces really look nice. They're very impressive.

Bloomfield Cricket Club said...

If I didnt know they were 15mm I wouldnt believe it. Amazing level of detail - extra detailing on colars is fantastic

Anonymous said...

Thanks All!

I do plan on finishing my German Grenadier Company this way, I may sell off and redo.

Troy

Chris from Model Dads said...

The quality of this paint job is so good I did not believe they were 15mm - until I realised I had these exact same figures myself!

This is the benchmark. Superb work.

Chris from Model Dads

Mortis Rigor said...

Yeah, absolutely fantastic! The collartabs, faces.. Unbelievable.
Any uniform will change color quickly in combat use so variation is most likely and a really good idea. Try to keep the palette between green and grey though, as too much yellow will make it look khaki'ish.

Keep it up!

caput

Anonymous said...

Hi Troy
I Just received 15mm Germans from Plastic Soldier Company and they are unreal so much detail!
I think you should consider buying a pack to see what I mean

thanks John

keen follower of your Blog

Chris from Model Dads said...

Krieg, any chance of showing some of the regular grenadier bases when you have them painted, would love to see.

Chris from Model Dads

Troy Ritter said...

Thanks for the comments all.

I have seen a few pics of the PSC's products and have a few tanks, I have an issue with the thin and fragile barrels and such - would they become brittle over time? I think so which is too bad as they are much more detailed and accurate than BFs products. I still may get a few infantry anyway!!

While I do have a few pics up on the blog and the Ritterkrieg website with the Grenadiers based and painted, I am not happy with the groundwork (first attempt with 15mm). I prefer the look of the Russians and may redo the Grenadiers with more of a 'Russian steppe' look (more open earth on the edges).

Troy